News And More: "An Internal Error Occurred When Overlapped Buffer Is Full" in VideoStudio X10 [Error Workaround]

[This post is currently Text-Only for speed of Posting. I will return and add example Screenshots and more, Soon™]


Just a quick bit of information, for those using Corel's VideoStudio X10 to edit and render their video projects and running into this error...

I was working on trying to finish some of the many, many, many projects I have in various stages of completion, and ran into an odd error when trying to render a Project in VideoStudio X10. The error said only:


"An Internal Error Occurred When Overlapped Buffer Is Full"


This is somewhat odd, as this is more of a generic Windows Application error than it is a VS (VideoStudio) error. So, I went to the Official Corel Support Forums and did other online searching...

I found a lot of people who have experienced this error, but none that had any solutions, sadly.
So, it was Time To Go Troubleshooting! /maskandcape

Now initially, I was trying to render in 1080p using the more common MPEG-4 Part 10 (h.264/AVC) format. VSx10 offers GPU-acceleration (where it utilizes the power of the videocard), like many video editing programs do these days, to help render and compress the output - and the quality of MPEG-4 can be quite good for the size, when it comes to compression.

BOOM, the error pops up, interrupting the rendering process.
Okay, time to see what could be causing it.

First, I tried to render in the other Formats that VSx10 offered (MPEG2, WMV, etc) and nothing would finish rendering without this error - except for Windows Media Video format (WMV).

Since WMV does not require GPU-acceleration to render, I disabled all GPU-powered optimization in the Preferences of the application (disabling 'hardware acceleration' where I could). I was hoping this would render with other formats without acceleration (MPEG-4 does not 'require' hardware acceleration, for example, but it renders much faster with it). Still, the error came up in any other format than WMV...

So, to dig in a bit of a different hole than the WMV format to find answers, I took out all elements of the Project except for the first video files (taking out the audio files, the Text added, images, etc) and tried to render again. It worked!

I then added in the Text elements (made with Corel's built-in Title tools). It worked!

Since it worked with Text and all video files now, I added in the Audio Files.

BOOM, the error popped up again.
That's okay, it's progress - now we know that something related to the Audio is having troubles.

I was looking at the Audio Files and noticed that I had some 'Audio Filters' and 'Speed/Time-Lapse' adjustments on them (to help them synchronize somewhat in the Project), so I took those effects out and tried to render again. It worked!

Okay, so since it works with the Audio Files present - without 'FX' on them - then it might have something to do with the Filtering/effects...
I enabled only the Speed/Time-Lapse adjustments and left out the Audio Filters for the Audio Files that utilized them. It worked!
I then enabled the Audio Filters again and BOOM, the error reared up and roared in my face.

So, it appears that there is something with the Audio Filters in VideoStudio that does not play nicely when you go to render the Project (for those experiencing this problem..). Nothing but WMV would produce output for me, at the time of this posting (this is with VideoStudio X10 Service Pack 1).



My advice then, is to try to utilize audio files that do not require Audio Filters in VSx10, for now.



If you must apply some sort of affects or filtering, there are many audio editing tools out there that can be used, at least until this gets looked at/fixed someday. Some suggestions off the top of my head are:

  • Sony's Sound Forge (recently acquired by MAGIX, I think).
    This is a pretty capable application, with lots of effects, pitch shifting, fading and filtering available - I have used it a lot in the past when it was run by Sony. It costs some money, however.
  • Audacity.
    This is a free (Open Source) audio editing application that is popular and has many of the features and filters that Sound Forge has - I have used this too, before I could afford to buy any editors at all.
  • Adobe Audition.
    Adobe acquired the older-but-popular Cool Edit Pro audio editing program, which I personally used to use and like. I have not used it since Adobe took over, so I cannot vouch for how this one is - I assume that it is similar to how CEP was - which was quite capable. It is not free, however.
  • Other audio editing applications. 

For now then, I will bring this up with Corel Support and see what they have to say about it - until this gets 'fixed', avoid utilizing Audio Filters in VideoStudio, if you can - for now...

Hopefully this information will be of use to those who, like me, were running into this annoying error in an otherwise decent video editing application - and hopefully it gets fixed soon!

If I remember, I will come back and Update this Post when a Fix has been released!


[Note: I am not affiliated with Corel or any of the other companies mentioned herein. I have not and I will not receive any compensation of any kind, for mentioning VideoStudio here. I am merely a user of the product and also use many of the other products mentioned above. I simply share information I have discovered, in hopes that it will help others.]